Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Here it is Folks, Finally ...

In order to keep those who may be interested aware, I've finally started this blog for informational purposes.
- If you have no idea what I'm speaking of, just read on beginning with 1. below...
- If you are somewhat aware of my family's history regarding Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer, but don't understand how it applies to me, you can skip 1. and go to 2. below...
- If you know all about it and just want to see where I am with this, skip to 3. below.

1. In the spring of 2001, my father was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Despite almost lifelong gastric problems, he had known for some time that something was very different about his most recent symptoms. In the 18 months prior to his diagnosis, he had at least two endoscopies plus CT and PET scans and was assured that everything was fine. It wasn't. By the time he had convinced a surgeon to open him up for a little look-see; it was too late. The cancer had spread. The biggest problem with any stomach cancer, let alone the hereditary type, is that people do not become symptomatic until well after it has metastasized. If you know anything about cancer, once "mets" have set in, prognosis is very poor.

After my father passed in August of 2001, one of my sisters began doing a little internet research about the possibility of stomach cancer being hereditary. After all, my paternal grandmother had died from stomach cancer and one of my paternal aunts had a diagnosis and removal of her stomach after a surgical procedure to treat her "ulcers" had discovered cancer instead. She (MY sister) found little, if anything, in the US going on at the time. Indeed, in the fall of 2001, prompted by my father's death (and possessing at the time, "gucci" health insurance), I myself visited a local GI doctor who assured me that "there's no evidence that stomach cancer is hereditary."

But my sister found out differently. There was a guy at the University of Otago in New Zealand, Dr. Parry Guilford, who had discovered just that. We eventually sent a blood/tissue? sample from my father off to New Zealand to test for the gene mutation. We received the news that my father had the CDH1 gene mutation at about the same time another sister had finally sought proper diagnosis and treatment for her stomach symptoms. Again, unfortunately for her, it was also too late. My sister was diagnosed in the Summer of 2002 and died in February 2003. Followed by a paternal aunt the following October and another paternal aunt the following spring.

In the few interim years between my father's passing and that of his little sister, there had finally been a few researchers in North America, who had taken up an interest in this condition. Thankfully, due to the diligence of afore-mentioned medical researchers and some new non-profit organizations, you can now find out a lot about this condition.
(nostomachforcancer.org and degregorio.org)

Since this is hereditary, it is recommended that close relatives of those testing positive for the CDH1 gene mutation also be tested. If a positive test comes up, the recommended medical course of action is a total prophylactic gastrectomy (removal of the stomach). Now, here's where everyone's eyeballs get big and they start to stammer when attempting to inquire as to how one can live with out a stomach. Because I'm weary of explaining how this is not only possible, but highly probable as well; just trust me, it can be done. It sux, but as I tell people, "It beats bein' dead!"

I have a sibling and a niece who, after testing positive for the gene mutation, have chosen to have their stomachs removed. In both cases, conventional "screening" (endoscopy and scans) showed NO abnormalities; however in both cases, biopsy of removed stomachs showed early stages of carcinoma. The CW is, if it causes stomach cancer, we'll just take the stomach out! Nya nya nya nya nya nya! I also have another sibling and another niece, who after testing positive for the gene, had abnormalities show up on endoscopies, because in both cases, they saw GI doctors who were aware of this particular condition and were able to screen properly for said abnormalities. Obviosly, in both cases, they had their stomachs removed.

Those of you who are die-hard fans of Grey's Anatomy might recall in Season 5, episode 17 a story about a woman with this condition. While it thankfully brought this condition to the attention of mainstream network TV, it did so in mainstream network TV style: omission of facts and severe bending of facts for the sake of increasing dramatic effect.

2. Last fall, I finally had the genetic test to see if I had inherited this awful mutation. Indeed I have. In March of this year I went to see a GI doctor who had experience with detecting this particular kind of cancer and BINGO! Or wait? What's the opposite of BINGO? In any case, he found some yucky cells. In case I need to spell this out, I have cancer in my stomach. So the stomach needs to go. Thus far, testing indicates no metastases; so if they are right, I get the stomach removed and there's no need for chemo or radiation. I'm pulling for that particular outcome.

3. I'm going to the best hospital in the world for my surgery and will be operated on by the best surgeons in the world. So I'm pretty sure everything will work out fine. It's July 12th. I will be in the hospital for about one week followed by a month or two of rehab at home. Don't even think about visiting me in the hospital. I will look like a monster. Have you heard of Cthulhu? And don't feel compelled to send flowers or anything. They cost money and they die. I'd rather you buy my family lunch or something. JK. Sort of.

20 comments:

  1. I had no idea. Best of luck with the surgery and recovery. My prayers are with you and your great family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Terri that's very bad news. It's great that you were on top of it. Being so proactive saved your life. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, of course I had no clue about any of this...but if I know anything about you, it is that you are not just a survivor, but a grab life by the horns and live life to the fullest kind a girl. I will keep you AND your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, you are one of the smartest and strongest people that I know. I have no doubt that you will get through this, my prayers are with you and your family. Love, Laci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri, we are so sorry to hear this news. I read through your entire blog and it is amazing the courage and persistence you have. It's ashame everything your family has gone through.
    Thank God that you found this out in time and you will beat this.
    It was great seeing you yesterday, your spirit is amazing, I never would have thought anything was wrong. I'm glad we got to spend time with you. Please let us know if there's anything we can do. We will keep your in our thoughts & prayers. Stay strong! Love, Farren & Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey - wow - I had no idea. I'm so sorry for the losses you've had to endure - I know what it's like to lose a father (oddly also to stomach disease) but not a sister, too. I gotta agree with everyone else that you are so brave and seem to be handling this the best way possible. I'll be thinking of you and I hope to see you soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Miss Terri I am so sad to be reading this blog. Had no idea you have been going through all this personally. I am so glad to hear that you have been so pro-active in your health. You are such a strong lady that I am most positive you will do GREAT!! You & your family will be in my thoughts & prayers. Be strong and please keep us posted. Good luck with everything & please let me know if I can help in any way.
    Love, Ani

    ReplyDelete
  8. July 10th girl... you won't need your stomach anymore... shots on me!!! What'll it be?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you a speedy recovery! I'm supper impressed by your strength and wisdom...I'll be sending positive healing and loving thoughts to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terri!

    OMG....I hope all goes well and you pull through this quickly. If there is ANYTHING I can do for you just ask. You are one of the few people I know from back in the day that hasnt turned into an a-hole. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck next week. I'm glad you are getting this taken care of as early as you are. I'm certain that next reunion you will have put this behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terry, You have always been a strong women and a fighter, I have no doubt that you will make it over this next bump in the road. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Miss you blondie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey girl! Please know I'm thinking of you and your family and sending you super positive vibes. Thank you for sharing your challenge with me (us)through this blog. We are all here supporting you, loving you, and admiring you for that special spark you bring to everything you do. Much love, Barbara, Scott and the little Brodeurs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terri! Love you too! You are making all the right choices. How did I not know this about your family. Sometimes life just throws you a curve ball. You are so strong that I know you will beat this cancer. Much love and prayers to you, Janelle, Sean and Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will pray for fast healing.

    Coincidentally, I pray to Cthulhu. He is as gracious as he is terrifying.

    - Scuba Steve

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Terri, you're really going to freak your "future" grandchildren out when you tell them that "Grandma" has no stomach (LOL) !!!! I'm so impressed by your strength and optimistic attitude -- way to go :) My thoughts will be with you. I know you'll make it through this tough journey.
    Funny how things come around...just the other day I thought OMG I can't believe it was about a year ago that Matt and Sean hung out (I remember because you had called to ask and Matt had just started the YMCA Summer Program) and I said to myself "I really should contact Terri and make plans with Sean to come over...blah, blah, blah" and then CRAZY HECTIC LIFE came to play too and the opportunity hasn't been there yet....BUT, real soon seems to be in the plans as I know Sean could really use a "buddy" !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dearest Terri,

    Your bravery and strength will get you through this and you will be home with your family before you know it. Thank you for letting people who know and love you about what you are going through. I am sure we are all sending you much love and positive energy. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love,
    Gina, Jimmy, Oliver, and Genevieve DeShayes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stay strong. Fight like a badger!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Terri,
    How the hell are you?

    ReplyDelete