Monday, April 18, 2011

The Hunger Mindgames

I don't experience hunger any more. I think hunger is a sensation produced solely through communication between the stomach and the brain. So no stomach, no hunger. Period. Now if too much time elapses between meals, then I do get a feeling that "I have to eat" but I think this is more a sense that my blood chemistry is becoming imbalanced.

What used to be a funny organ at the bottom of the esophagus saying, "Hey, fill me up!" has become more the feeling of some metabolic function letting me know it's getting kinda bored and needs something to do.

My niece, also a gastrectomy patient, says she does get hungry. But I'm willing to bet this feeling she has isn't true hunger at all. I think people experience similar sensations and interpret them differently.

This could provide a valuable lesson to researchers. Emotional eating is real. When I want to eat something, I'm having a craving, I know that my body doesn't physiologically need it, it isn't real hunger. But I could interpret it as hunger and I would feel compelled to satisfy what I believe is a need. Without a stomach, I can tell the difference. Most people cannot. This leads to overeating and weight gain.

Recently, I flipped through a cooking magazine. One of the articles featured paninis, and had several recipes accompanied by tantalizing photographs. Just the visual stimulus of those pictures alone caused me to want some kind of hot sandwich with meat, sautéed vegetables, an excessive amount of cheese and some kind of sauce or herbal seasoning blend.

Now, this feeling created in my mind is a sensation I would have previously interpreted as hunger and I would have done something to get a sandwich like that, pronto! Even now, just thinking about it while writing this, I'm getting that feeling. I can even feel in my abdomen, a faint gnawing pinch; something that could be hunger, but I know isn't. My brain is just telling me that it is, because it wants an emotional need created by the magazine pictures satisfied.

I know I'm not "hungry" because I'm in the middle of slurping down a 12 ounce smoothie, which is about four ounces more than I usually have. So I know for a fact that my body doesn't need a panini right now, my mind just wants one. And if I were physiologically able to eat a panini right now without becoming ill, I would probably do it. But I know better. Now I can tell the difference.

Another mental aspect of eating that has changed is what I find appealing. I haven't had any kind of fast food since my surgery. Nor do I have any kind of cravings for it, ever. French fries make me gag, as does pretty much anything cooked in a fryer. That greasy, crispy cuisine hailed by some (hungover people) and cursed by others (health-conscious people) makes me ill just thinking about it.

On occasion, I've been able to have Chick-Fil-A, but not the sandwiches, the rolls not work well for me, just a few chicken strips and maybe a waffle fry or two. I actually tried a fast food burger the other day with disastrous results. So I won't be doing that again anytime soon. Pizza continues to be a problem and is even becoming less and less appealing.

Processed food, some would argue it isn't even food anymore, doesn't work very well for me. And it's not to say that prior to my surgery I ate a lot of it, probably less than the average person. But now that kind of food, laden with corn syrup, sodium and processed oils, is so easy to avoid.

The downside of not being able to eat convenience foods, is that if I'm unable to fix myself something, I'm often not eating anything. Thanks to liquid nutrition on those days. It tastes terrible, but at at least provides some needed sustenance.

Signing out now, I have to go eat something. I'm not hungry, remember, I just have to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment