Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Yuletide Greetings

I really love Christmastime. I always have. Tonight we had a little soirée at my mom's. My sister and her boyfriend came up from Atlanta and are actually flying back on Christmas Day, so in order to celebrate with as many relatives as possible, this "Solstice" night was chosen to get folks together. It helped that there was a fire. And some booze. And a nephew who works part time at Honey Baked Ham and gets a discount.

JJ remarked that it was the best-attended gathering (though some were missing, and very missed, but no guilt intended as there are always problems with work and living a thousand miles away and whatnot) in a long time. He suggested that maybe we should always plan for our seasonal celebration of this time to be on this day as opposed to the the 24th and 25th when there are so many other obligations to be met. Maybe this will be a tradition that carries forward.

I was pleased to send out Cards this year, as last year it just didn't get done. And by cards I mean those photos of my kids that get sent out to all kinds of people that I may never speak to even once throughout the year. But that is the whole purpose of this post.

I remember growing up and being excited to open the cards that came in the mail. I just wanted to see the cards themselves. Was is Santa and the Elves? Was it a charming Manger scene? Didn't matter; I loved the cards. Sometimes they came with the letter of what the family had been up to. These I was never interested in as child. Even growing into adulthood, they've made me kinda iffy. One one hand, I never understood why a distant friend or relative would feel compelled to give the rundown of everything that has happened in the lives of the family for the previous year. On the other hand, yes, I can understand. And now I think I like these yearly updates!

As a, shall we say, younger person, my attitude was that if we cared enough about each other, we would communicate more frequently than a "Sally got an A in Math and Johnny made Varsity Football" letter once per annum. But now I know better. Now I understand. Now I believe I'm on the verge of writing such letters. And what's worse is I see how they matter.

Even now with the Internet and the Facebook and every other thing there is out there, I'm happy with the fact I sent out Christmas Pictures of my Kids. This year, I almost succumbed to the This-is-What-Has-Happened-The-Past-Year Letter. But, honestly, I didn't want to have to buy more ink for my printer. WIN! I've chosen to write one. And you can read it here below, later, should you chose.

I decided that for me, it is important to get those yearly greetings. It may be a simple sliver of connectedness. But it is connectedness nonetheless. I've had friends who have told me that they are at a loss as to what to do with the Christmas pics. One is a new father so we'll see what he chooses to do. Another admittedly trashes them, so she sometimes doesn't get one. About ten years ago I came up with the solution. I make collages of all the photos and we love to see to see how the young ones grow.




In sending out these Yuletide greetings I always feel a slight pinge of remorse. For not including a personal note, for not keeping up to date in a more personal and prompt way. But then I realize that it's the wonder of this this crazy cyberspace. No it's not great as seeing an old friend and not the same as a hug and a genuine wish for well. But it is something, now, ain't it?

No matter what your inclination, towards the holiday, your family, et cetera, as long as it's known that you love others and others love you, I think that's what this is all about.

Keep the peace. Wait. No. Don't keep it! Amplify it and send it out. I think this may be my Christmaspost. PEACE!

Friends and Family Near and Far:
This year has been quite a doozy. Had record snowfall and despite the fact that Dan has been plowing on and off the past few years, this wasn't one of them. I've spent the better part of the last fifteen years working at this bar and restaurant that suddenly locked it's doors one day. Aw shucks. For what it's worth, we kinda knew it was coming, but expected a bit more than, "Don't bother coming to work on Monday."
Thankfully, Dan is doing well with his new business, so we hope to get through this economic downturn.

In March I had an endoscopy to check for stomach cancer cause there's this genetic thing. So a week later I got a phone call call from the GI doc telling me he found cancer in my stomach and I need to schedule appointments with an oncologist and surgeon.
I am a stoic and a pro. In fact, I think I may be a professional stoic. So going into this I was very low key. The fact is my family has been dealing with this for many years. It's almost like, "Oh, another one of you, eh?" So I had my stomach surgically removed from my body in July of this year. Thanks for that because it didn't spread or anything and I didn't need chemo or the other nonsense. In fact I recuperated so well that I was able to accompany my mom when she drove out to the Midwest. Or at least I thought so.

Dan is still working hard building his business. While he's not ready to incorporate and hire a team of employees, he's making a respectable living, which is more than I can say for myself. He plans on plowing again this year, so let's hope for a lot of snow!

The kids are both in middle school now and doing well. Janelle is still somewhat active is sports and considering trying some theatre work. Sean spends too much time playing PS3, contemplating his genius and will need to find some new hobbies in the near future.

The dogs are cute but a bit of a pain and are always considered free to a good home.

"Merry Christmas to All. And to all a Good night!"

No comments:

Post a Comment