Saturday, December 11, 2010

Awwwwww, My First Cold Since Surgery

That's so cute! Well I'm surprised it took so long, truth be told. I usually get one right around the sumer into fall change of seasons. But I only recently had my first occurrence of the common cold. I was worried that my usual methods of dealing with this nuisance would be hindered by not having a stomach but it wasn't so much the case. I'm not one to swallow fistfulls of pills or chug various other chemical symptom alleviators. Instead I opt for ingesting copious amounts of raw garlic, pineapple juice, soup (man, I LOVE soup!), and an odd assortment of herbal teas. This was a problem only because my intake of all of the above was held back by the whole "eat a little, drink a little" routine to which I'm now a slave.

I got through it well enough. Had to adapt some things, like put the two cloves of chopped raw garlic on one piece of toast rather than spread upon two. Ouch. That hurt. And I had to forgo the herbal tea I usually drink to help with the coughing that often marks the end of the illness. A warning on the box said not to use it "if you have inflammatory disorders of the GI tract and biliary ducts..." Now, I don't have any disorders, per se, but the fact that I'm missing a major component of the GI tract, and gastrectomy patients are known to have gall bladder issues, to the point that many surgeons recommend yanking it out while they're in there removing the stomach anyway, tells me I should wait until I'm able to talk to my doctor or others who have good recommendations, before proceeding with this folk remedy.

To prevent a digression into the many viscosities and hues of mucus, I'll end this now. Especially since I just took a few too many spoonfuls of homemade Dulce de leche (caramel) and am awaiting at least a mild case of Dumping Syndrome. Probable not a much better image than that of mucus. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment