Wednesday, August 4, 2010

First Post Op Appointment with Surgeon

Yesterday I saw Dr. C. She was pleased with how the incisions are healed and took the steri-strips off of the smaller ones. I told her just to leave the big one because I was paranoid that ripping that big long one off, would open the wound, even though I know it won't. I guess this is a good place to explain all the incisions and holes that were made in my belly since I haven't done that previously.

We had decided to do the surgery laproscopically, so there would be a few small incisions rather than one big one and I also should expect a shorter recovery time. I told her I was fine with that as long as they could get everything out that way. She said she was pretty sure they could but set the surgery up to be prepared to go in the traditional way if there were any complications. She also wanted to try these new staples they have to close the anastomosis, and I told her I was game for that too.

As it turned out, she was able to perform the surgery laproscopically and get everything out that she needed to. The problem came when they went to staple the anastomosis, the new connection between my esophagus and intestine. It turns out they couldn't fit the stapler down my throat to do it from the inside. It's hard not to picture these doctors with a standard office Swingline trying to get it down my throat. I can only imagine that it's smaller, like those mini staplers you get with desk sets that never work.

So they ended up doing a standard incision anyway (from sternum to navel) just to make the new connection. So yes, my abdomen will be a mess of scars, from all that. Not to mention the holes for the feeding tube and the drain tube that was in. I'm not really concerned about it as my bikini modeling days are long over!

Dr C. told me that while it might be hard to hear, everything I'm feeling is completely normal. Yes it stinks and it's awful but it's normal. So I'm thankful that there's nothing abnormal that I'm feeling because that would mean something is terribly wrong!

5 comments:

  1. I'd still look at you in a bikini...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Kate can get back in a bikini after baking 6 buns in the oven all at once, then there is hope for you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Teri, it will only get easier. Eileen ur right, before we know it Teri can be on dancing w/ the stars.
    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the bikini sentiments. The pretty ones are never comfortable with their own beauty. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why you go with the thong bottom and a breast lift...it draws attention to the T & A and takes away from the belly......that's what I do : )
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete