Monday, July 19, 2010

Arguing with the Residents; Must be Feeling Better

Wow, that was totally unexpected! By far the worst five or so days of my life ever. Had no idea, despite research and being given first-hand accounts, just awful those first few days would be.

Thanks to everyone for their well-wishes, positive vibes and good old-fashoined prayers. They certainly helped get me through the surgery. Now I'd like just a few more please, to get me through at least the next few weeks. Hope I'm not being greedy. I just used everything up getting from Tuesday to Saturday. I'll tell you, all the remarks about be being so strong and courageous went right out the window about Thursday. I felt like the biggest fraud.
"But I can't DO this," I wailed to Dan.
"Just press the botton, hon." A reference to my on demand pain medication.

Saturday night was the first time I had any more than 40-60 minutes of sleep at any given time. So I woke up Sunday feeling rather stiff and groggy. I've been having issues with the tube feedings and on Saturday I got them to put a hold on them. The nurse had told me that one of the Interns was going to come talk to me about the importance and necessity of the tube feedings. When she got to my room, with her textbook copy of the jejunal tube procedure, she asked why I needed a feeding tube after my surgery. At first I thought she was poising herself for a little lecture and then I realized that she really didn't know. "Wait!? Are you asking me to formulate your main premise for you? Because clearly this is an arguement you can't win."

Well that's where I am right now. I want three things:
the feeding tube removed
FOOD
and to be at home!
I'll let you know how that works out

5 comments:

  1. "clearly this is an arguement you can't win"...
    Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! See...I told you they didn't know what their doing! Get that Draconian Feeding Tube out! It's whats giving you the Gas, anyway!

    PAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are on the mend. I will send all positive energy possible. Good luck with escape plans. I always found it best to leave a lawyers name and phone number on a piece of paper where you frantically take notes when ever asking for new treatments or release. The only thing health care professionals fear is legal professionals. I will light two saints candles for you tonight and commune with the spirits in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there, Babe. You will get through this. My entire Lay Carmelite community is praying for you and your family. When things get tough, offer your trials up for a special intention. Sorry about "anonymous." If I knew what my URL is, I'd use my name. I'm not computer savvy. Love you,auntmaw

    ReplyDelete