Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Two Steps Forward; One Step Back

Ingesting just one wrong food can ruin your whole day. No split-pea soup for me anytime soon thank you. When I'm having a good day it's easy to lose focus and start to believe that this isn't the long, slow process that it is. A good day is just that, better than average, and certainly not to be be expected.

Yesterday I sat outside and the weather was perfect. It's hard to believe it's late July, with the mild temperature and slight breeze.

I've probably spent less than one total hour outside over the past two weeks, and naturally, that's only been in the last few days since I got out of the hospital. Although from what I gather I should be thankful I didn't have to go outside during what was a typical Mid-Atlantic wave of heat and humidity. Especially having been in the city. So it's nice to finally get some fresh air and a little bit of sun on my head.

Waking up and eating breakfast is so tiring that I often need a nap shortly after breakfast. I found my head bobbing the way it used to when I sat in the back of Geometry class in high school. Unable to get in a comfortable sleeping position outside, I went in but that nap never happened. I tried for three hours to snooze and really felt so tired but just couldn't manage to fall asleep. Mom came over to help out and I got to thinking that I wanted to go to the store to get a few things.

I really needed to check out some items, read labels, compare nutrients, etc, to find some food stuffs that will work for me. I sometimes find myself pacing around my little house in order to get my digestive tract (and anything in in it) moving. So it's not unusual for me for me to be walking around for 1/2 hour, sometimes longer. I figured that with all the laps through my house that I do, I could stand walking around Giant for a little bit. Or I could zoom around in one of those motorized carts they have for people like me.

Well you all know how "just running in to the grocery store for a few things" works out, right? This was no different. Complete with criss crossing the store a few times due to forgetfulness and general idiocy. And my poor mother trying to keep up with me darting back and forth in the hoveround cart. Two hours later, we walked out of the store. I don't know what I was thinking. But I'm a little less worried about getting at least some basic nutrition in my body everyday. And I'm hoping for a lot more rest today!

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother has a cart if you want to borrow it. Steve used it when he broke his leg

    ReplyDelete